Sunday, December 18, 2011
Honolulu Academy of Arts - Anna Cooke
The Honolulu Academy of Arts was originally the home to the Rice missionaries on Oahu. The Rice family had three kids and as they prospered, they purchased works of art for their home on Beratania Street. Daughter Anna Rice married and became a part of another missionary family becoming Anna Cooke. She continued purchasing art and importing pieces from China until there was more art than their home could hold. She decided to have their Beratania home torn down in the 1920's to build a museum for their large collection. The Honolulu Academy of Arts was opened in 1927. The above photo is of the dragon fountain located in rear of the pond.